Fort Lauderdale Criminal Defense Attorney
Obtaining the professional services of an experienced and well respected criminal defense attorney is crucial to protecting the legal interests of anyone charged with committing a crime. Criminal law addresses the government's prosecution of individuals who have committed an act classified as a crime. Crimes are classified as either felonies or misdemeanors, depending upon the severity of the crime and the maximum punishment that can be imposed. In the State of Florida, a capital felony is the most serious offense and may be punishable by death or life imprisonment. Other felony offenses are subdivided into different degrees, varying in punishment from life imprisonment to a year in prison. Crimes that are not punishable by greater than a year in jail are classified as misdemeanors. Since all criminal offenses have the potential to result in incarceration, it is essential to anyone charged with a crime to have the best legal representation possible.
The Law Office of Steven J. Hammer, P.A. have a team of
experienced lawyers, investigators, and expert witnesses
that have the legal knowledge, skills, and experience that
are essential in any State or Federal criminal case.
Mr. Hammer and his associates are dedicated to serving their
client's best interests, and they are committed to fighting
to protect their client's rights. He and his team believe
that early intervention is critical to successful results
and being proactive in a criminal case can often make the
difference between facing misdemeanor or felony charges,
or whether or not any charges are filed at all!
Contact the Law Office of Steven J. Hammer, P.A. if you or a loved one is being investigated for, or charged with any of the following types of criminal offenses:
- Domestic Crimes are described as any type of physical, emotional, sexual, economical, or psychological abuse committed by someone against a family member, companion, or any other close relationship to the offender; and include such crimes as Murder, Homicide, Manslaughter, Kidnapping, Sexual Assault, Rape, Stalking, Assault, Battery, Child Abuse, Elderly Abuse and Mistreatment, Willful Neglect, Harassment, Reckless Endangerment, Robbery, Theft, and Property Destruction. Penalties depend upon specific circumstances of the case and may be punishable by prison or jail time, probation, treatment programs, fines & community service (clients with previous convictions may face harsher penalties).
- Drug Related Crimes include such crimes as Drug Trafficking, Conspiracy, Delivery, Manufacturing, Smuggling, Possession, Theft & Violent Crimes associated by the effects of drugs. It also includes Prescription Drug Violations such as when they are unlawfully produced, obtained, distributed, used, possessed or cultivated. Penalties depend upon the substance, the quantity of the substance and the criminal behavior associated with the substance and is punishable by prison or jail time, probation, rehabilitation/ treatment programs, fines, community service, as well as compulsory & random drug testing (clients with prior drug convictions may face harsher penalties since State & Federal laws are designed to severely punish repeat offenders & dealers).
- Property Crimes include such crimes as Burglary, Larceny, Theft, Employee Theft, Grand Theft Auto or Motor Vehicle Theft, Carjacking, Arson, Shoplifting, Receiving or Dealing in Stolen Property and Intellectual Property Crimes such as Counterfeiting, Fraud, Identity Theft, and other forms of White Collar Crimes such as Corruption, Money Laundering, Extortion, Bribery, Embezzlement, Perjury, and Forgery. Property Crimes are considered serious criminal offenses and are usually prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
- Sex Crimes include such crimes as Rape, Sexual Assault, Prostitution, Indecent Exposure, Lewd and Lascivious Molestation, Child Molestation, Computer Pornography, and other acts of Criminal Sexual Misconduct. The penalty for such crimes are very severe, and upon a conviction for such a crime, the prosecution will typically seek the maximum prison sentence under the law. Additionally, after release from prison, sex crime offenders may be subject to a civil commitment, and may be required to register with the National Sex Offender Registry Database in order to notify communities about the offenders in their area.
- Violent Crimes involve the use of force or threat of violence against another and include such crimes as Murder, Homicide, Manslaughter, Rape or Sexual Assault, Robbery, Carrying a Concealed Firearm or Weapon, Aggravated Battery, Aggravated Assault, Simple Battery, and Assault. Penalties for a person charged with a felonious violent crime range from incarceration, probation, restitution, fines, community service & other penalties.
The punishment for any criminal offense, whether it is a misdemeanor or a felony is serious, and requires the services of a highly experienced, qualified, and competent attorney. In the State of Florida, the punishment for a Capital Offense such as Premeditated First Degree Murder may even include the death penalty. The Law Office of Steven J. Hammer, P.A. has successfully defended hundreds of criminal cases at trial, including First Degree Murder cases where the Government has sought the Death Penalty.
If you or someone you know has been or may be charged with a criminal offense, we encourage you to call The Law Office of Steven J. Hammer now to schedule a free consultation. CONTACT US
Contact Fort Lauderdale Criminal Defense Attorney Steven J. Hammer
440 South Andrews Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33301